Project 93 GS300 5 speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project 93 GS300 5 speed

I went out with an ohm meter and checked my distributor.. Jumping from G1 to G- it showed 160, within range (125-200 ohms cold), G2 to G- showed 160 as well which is also within spec, but when I jumped NE to G- it showed 1, which is bad.. not receiving a signal from my NE sensor (which makes sense why I am getting a code 12.. as I rev above 2500 the RPM signal gets fuzzy and the ecu cant see whats happening clearly, but I don't have an oscilloscope to determine that fully.

I did find a distributor on supraforums for 60 shipped and it will be here friday, and all three sensors were tested good on it. Also ordered a throttle body gasket from toyota and picked up a few cans of toyota TB cleaner and some rags so I can clean out the throttle body and idle control valve. I also noticed a slight split on my intake boot coming off the throttle body, so I am going to use some RTV and electrical tape to make sure i am not getting a lean condition from an air leak. Haven't been able to work on the car much with school and homework, but I have a four day weekend and plan to get this running correctly with my fingers crossed.

I also got my shifter boot and boot plate, planning on using a piece of aluminum and a jigsaw to cut out a template which will clean up the center console. Still looking for a shift knob, any suggestions on what I should get?

Comment

Little progress... Have to remove the throttle body to clean it super well, it wont return completely and is gummy.. So my idle is sticking at 1250-1000 warm, and i have to push the throttle closed more to get it to idle stock. I've tried to add another return spring but it hasn't helped yet. So while its been raining and cold instead, I went and found some stainless steel to start making my center console. Had to pick up a dremel but here is my progress on the center console. I also got in my lokar leather shift boot with rectangular ring, hence the cutout. Also bought a full JDM 2jzgte manifold upper/lower with all sensors and TB.. Not sure if I want to try and modify it to fit my ge head or find a GTE head in the future.. Also I replaced the distributor with a used one and I no longer have a check engine light.

Last edited by joewitafro; 24-01-13, 05:25 AM.

Comment

So good news! after setting the TPS and reinstalling the throttle body, the car still wouldn't idle properly and it seemed it would idle perfectly the first time I started it, but every time I restarted the car it would increase the idle. I changed out the coolant temp sensor and it dropped my idle some but still slightly inconsistent with what I wanted.. (or to pass emissions)

I decided to test something, and let the car fully cool and started it up and it had a perfect idle... When it fully warmed up and at a 750 rpm idle, I unplugged the idle speed control valve and restarted the car... Wham... it now idles at 1000 to 750... Even restarting the car multiple times it seemed to work, and I passed emissions by doing this!! Awesome! Now I have plates and will start to finish up my center console since I can drive the car legally now. So exciting to finally drive my manual swapped gs!

Comment

That's good to hear! I had the opposite problem with mine. With the stock Aristo ECU my idle was good when cold, but then it was super low when warm. So low that it was causing the car to stall most of the time when I came to a stop. I switched to a JDM MK4 ECU and now I'm good to go.

I didn't know you had emissions testing in WA. I only ever hear about emissions testing in California from the US.

The Pretty One - http://clubaristo.net/forums/showthr...t-New-quot-MK1!!!

Comment

So you need a new iacv, nice work though. They have emissions tests in the UK Ryan, is an emissions test governed by each provence/state over there?
            JZS147- Do Luck edition
            Ive got one speed, one gear, go!

Comment

I'm not sure about the US (I know California has stringent requirements), but there are only a hand full of cities in Canada that require emissions testing. Eg. in all of British Columbia you only have to go through emissions testing if you live in the Vancouver area. And they've stated that it will be removed in 2014. However, they also previously stated that it was going to be phased out in 2011 or 2012 and that didn't happen.

Sorry for taking your thread off topic Joe

Comment

No problem! Its up to the city you live in here I believe, so if you happen to live outside city limits sometimes you can avoid emissions here. And yeah, I assume my ISCV is bad but its too expensive in my opinion to replace when I can dupe my system into a consistent perfect idle by unplugging it when its at the correct setting upon first cold start (Any starts after the first will cause it to bump up)

Comment

It just so happened my keyboard broke over the weekend so I put about 100 miles on the car. Few things to mention... Upon deceleration the drifeshaft clunks, not sure if my stock motor mounts are completely shot or what. Also occasionally at a higher speed I am getting something ticking, perhaps a plug hanging down... I also finished up my center console. Check it out.

Comment

Curious what spring rates you all would recommend for some coilovers? Thinking of picking up this set from circuit motorsports.

jzs147 BC coilovers for $995, without the swift springs.

Just ordered a set of xxr 521 18x8.5+25f 18x10+25r machined silver, cheap but I plan on driving on them to college for the next two years and more appropriate funding can come in. Going for the "performance" appeal and not hella flush VIP. I would eventually like to be able to go drifting with the car but it is mainly a daily "spirited" driver for now. What tires would you guys recommend? I was thinking 235/45/18f 275/45/18r and renting a roller to clean up the edge and pull a little. I've still been trying to find a front drivers fender.

As for maintenance updates: EGR code 71 is on but I have an okay idle.. Though I feel I have been a bit hard on the throttle lately, I think I'll get about 275 miles to this tank if I'm lucky.. Got a set of EGR gaskets and I am hoping its just clogged and will be an easy fix as I'm wanting to take the car on its first little road voyage up north to Seattle with some friends.

Currently have 400 miles on it and the ticking went away, could have been a hanging clip that I didn't tie up enough though I haven't had the ability to lift it up to see. Cruise control works great, same with my reverse lights, even lights up on the dash. Although I do have the blinking O/D light. I plan on removing that bulb once I get my LED kit in.

Put my old amplifier back in the car to get my antenna to at least partially lower and my trunk has seemed rather dry, but when I turn my radio on I get no sound from the speakers at any volume.. Would it not being bolted in have something to do with it?

Comment

I've got the softest set BC Racing do (10 front 8 rear I think) & it's plenty stiff enough for very fast cornering without giving an uncomfortable ride.

Comment

That is what they offer stock. I was thinking about getting their regular drop with 12 front 10 rear.

Comment

Center console is looking good I think I'll do something similar. Seems like that's the easiest way to go

Comment

Looking Good

Comment

Thinking about considering the PBM coilovers instead for our car, but I don't want to slam it on the ground. Will these coilovers be able to sit at a reasonable ride height and not just be so VIP?

By the way.. Updates! Tires are ordered..

Comment

fitment pictures.. staggered xxr 521
                                18x8.5 +25f, 18x10 +25r.
                                Going with hankook ventus v12 evo tires 245/45/18f and 275/40/18r.

Comment

Working...
                                X